posted Sep 8, 2015, 9:18 PM by Adrienne DeWolfe
updated Nov 30, 2015, 1:25 PM
Finding appropriate content online at the right reading level can be challenging. Below, are some of my favorite search engines that are kid-friendly and safe.
There are a number of ways to find online content or adjust online content by reading level.
- Readability-Score.com will provide you with the grade level of any text or site.
- See this playlist from Susan Oxnevad on Search Engines for All Learners. Note that as of May, 2015, google removed their reading level filter.
- Rewordify creates an easier reading version from any URL or text selection. This is a cool tool that you must check out! When you select "Rewordify web page text only" you are able to have the tool teach you the difficult words or create flashcards in a Learning Session. Helpful with English learners.
Other Tools to Make Content Accessible:
- On the Mac, you can select any text and right click (control click) to enable the Speech option. The Mac will read the selection aloud. Read more.
- In iOS, go to Settings/General/Acessibilty/Speech to enable the Speak Selection option. Now when you select text, the Speak option will appear. You can also adjust the speaking rate or highlight words as they are read aloud. Read more.
- The Mac and iOS Safari browser allows for a reader view, which is a much more clean interface with images, sidebars and other distractions eliminated from the page. Readers can just focus on the text.